Monday, February 25, 2013

Bangkok and Boats

I was on the plane to Bangkok with Matt. The plane was more like a bus, and we were sitting at the very front with huge windows so we could see all the scenery. We took off from San Francisco and shot straight into the air to avoid getting stuck in the clouds. The views were incredible: deep blue oceans, huge mossy rock formations, beautiful golden temples... I tried to take as many pictures as I could with my phone. I later was upset with myself for not taking videos instead, as the footage could have made a really cool short film. We had paid more to ride Singapore Airlines, and I was quite pleased we had.

We got to the hotel and we had to act fact to get a private room. All the other rooms were filled with a patchwork of beds meant for multiple people, but our room just had one. I opened the safe to find a fold-down, metal toilet and a tiny metal cubby hole meant for showering. I wasn't too jazzed about it but I figured I could make do.

*****

I was going to a presentation with my coworkers about a new ocean liner with a shatter-proof front cabin. One of our conference rooms at work had been all decked out, and I congratulated my Operations coworker on his festive and alive lighting scheme. There was a cake there in the shape of a ship. I could see the real thing from the window and thought it looked nice-- unsinkable, in fact-- but before I got too excited about it I reminded myself that that's what they said about the Titanic too, and we all know how that worked out. Plus cruise ships are not doing so well right now.

No comments: