Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Divas

My boss and I decided that she would have me go to the opera in the morning and write a report about it instead of going into the office. She was planning on seeing the same show that evening. I think it was Fidelio.

I had excellent seats near the front. During the second act, one of the female singers came into the audience and tried to convince me to get up on stage and dance with her. I insisted that I was extremely awkward and would probably fall down but she wouldn't take no for an answer. She pulled me on stage. She took my right hand and pulled me toward her so our fronts were together, and then pulled my backward so our backs were together. It was a very easy move, but I kept losing the rhythm and stumbling.

Up in the control room, one of the divas was watching me and seething because I was "stealing her best move."

The next morning I went to the office to present to my boss my eight-page report. I know I showed it to her but it got lost between all of my various drafts. She got upset with me for showing her anything but the finished product so I rushed back to my desk to go through the numerous papers I had in my arms to try to find it. Right then the office coordinator came in to tell me about some hand modeling jobs she thought I should apply for. I was scared my boss was going to start to yell at me so I ignored her and ran back to my desk. I sifted through mountainous piles of documents and couldn't find my final draft for the life of me. I searched my computer for "opera" but couldn't find anything there. I couldn't remember if I'd written it at home or at work.

The office coordinator interrupted me again to ask me to be a foster parent to a girl who had just wandered into our waiting room. She had her face painted like a cat. I said that I guessed I could while I continued to frantically sift through papers. Before we could introduce ourselves to each other she left.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you knew about anything opera-related. I'm so proud!